So, it has begun. The biggest football tournament in Europe kicked start last night with 2004 champion, Greece draw with co-host Poland and the Russian underline their Euro credential by hammering Republic Czech 4 -1. None of these results will matter though as it is very unlikely that any of these teams will be competing for the honour of being the best team in Europe come July 1. The World Champion, Spain will start as the favourite with Holland and Germany being touted as possible contender.
While I’d like to see the Three Lions doing well in this tournament, I don’t think they will even get past the group stages. Loosing Rooney for two matches in one thing but the unprofessional manner of the England FA handling the John Terry – Rio Ferdinand saga could probably be costly to them especially if things don’t get into their way in the first game against France.
I had predicted Spain to win the 2008 Euro and 2010 World Cup and I was spot on. But, I believe all good things must come to an end and the failure of both Real Madrid and Barcelona in this year’s Champion League indicates that things might not be easy for La Furia Roja this year. They also lost the prolific David Villa, while Fernando Torres might need some uplifting before he can shine in this year’s tournament. Having said that, don’t be surprised if they win it again this year and Torres ends up as the star of Euro 2012. They certainly have the quality. It is just a matter of putting things right again.
Since all the teams will go all out against Spain, teams like Germany and Holland can surely benefit from it. Both teams have quality players and in Mesut Ozil, Germany certainly have one of the players to watch in the tournament. I don’t think Holland have the strength and depth like Germany but going forward, they certainly are an awesome team.
By the way, here are my predictions for this year’s Euro 2012:
- FRANCE will be the champion. Yup, I surprise myself with that, but I have a feeling that La Blues can win it this year.
- KARIM BENZEMA will be the star of the tournament. I believe this guy will score plenty of goals and become the top scorer of Euro 2012.
- SPAIN won’t even make it into the semi-final.
- ENGLAND and PORTUGAL won’t get pass the group stages.
- ITALY, GERMANY, FRANCE and HOLLAND in the semi-final
How’s about that? Anyone beg to differ?
- Euro 2012 – Here Are My Predictions
Latest posts by Ismail N (see all)
- Crazy Bowling Trick Shots With Jason Belmonte - August 25, 2014
- MH17: Malaysia Mourns As The Bodies Arrive From Holland - August 22, 2014
- UMS Kota Kinabalu International Open 10-Pin Bowling Tournament - August 20, 2014