Whenever possible, I always choose organic or natural products over synthetic skincare products for various reasons. Fortunately, compared to a decade ago, it is now pretty easy for us to get our hands on international natural skincare products and local natural skincare products in Malaysia, online and offline. One of the local online natural skincare brands that I have the privilege of trying out recently is Organichana range of skincare.
Online Natural Skincare : Organichana
Organichana was founded in 2014 by Mrs Siti Suhana Kamal Admi, a beauty and cosmetics enthusiast who is very passionate about home remedies skincare. Their products are free from Parabens, Mercury, Alcohol, SLS’s, petrochemicals, synthetic colors and animal derivatives. Therefore, Organichana products are not only natural/organic, they are also Vegan and Halal.
Besides being healthy and safe, the benefits of buying locally made natural/organic skincare products online are the lower pricing and cheaper postage (compared to the overseas shipping costs).
One of the easily noticeable aspects of natural skincare products (compared to synthetic ones) that I like to point out is the number of ingredients used, which is usually less than 10. And most of the ingredients are fairly recognizable such as shea butter, olive oil, essential oils, etc. Organichana offers such product range, simply constituted with less than 10 ingredients. Most are also multi-purpose, hence, very convenient, too!
OLGA TREATMENT CREAM
Olga Treatment Cream is a treatment cream and day cream. It aims not only to lighten our complexion but also acts as a moisturiser. Easily absorbed by the skin, it is non-greasy and has a wonderful texture.
Olga has a sweet scent that I personally find pleasant. However, it may be a tad strong for others who are sensitive to scent. I wonder, is it bitter almond oil scent? The ingredient list doesn’t specify which type of almond oil used. Fyi, sweet almond oil is ok for skin and has little scent while bitter almond oil has a strong scent but cannot be applied onto the skin.
Besides being a treatment cream and moisturiser, the Titanium Dioxide in Olga also provides light UV protection. With consistent use, Olga aims to eliminate dull skin, lessen freckles and reduce acne.
Ingredients of Olga Treatment Cream
- Olive Oil
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Almond Oil
- Titanium Dioxide
My Thoughts on Olga Treatment Cream
I use this during the day as a day moisturiser and so far, it works very well with my regular foundation and compact powder. But in my opinion, it works best with the Organichana Sunscreen Foundation SPF30. After using it almost every day (I tend to be lazy or forgetful during the weekends) for more than 2 months, it is still not finished! This proves that a little bit of Olga really goes a long way.
As for my skin tone, I don’t know whether my skin tone has become lighter but for sure I don’t get dark spots easily anymore. By the way, if you spend most of the day in a dry environment such as air-conditioned office or if you have dry skin, you may need to re-apply Olga or additional moisturiser to keep the skin amply moisturised throughout the day. Although it is highly recommended for those with sensitive and dry skin, I find that it is also suitable for my combination skin.
Now that I think about it, I should probably apply Olga cream on the scars on my hands too. Most were acquired while cooking but a few spots are courtesy of trips and falls during my active days. Hope it can help with these old scars.
It is sold at RM53 and sample size is also available at RM20.
Rubbalm has a thicker consistency than Vicks Vaporub but with a much better scent. It works well to relieve early stages of bites, stings or skin irritations caused by insect bites (eg. ants, mosquitoes, etc).
But firstly, let me tell you its best feature to me – the delicious combo of essential oil scents! Featuring a mixture of Essential oil of Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Peppermint & Lavender, it’s positively addictive! The amazing smell reminds me of a particular minty gula-gula (candy/sweets) that I sometimes consume for fun.
Ingredients of Rubbalm
- Virgin Olive oil
- Essential oil of Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Peppermint & Lavender
The Benefits of Essential Oils (EOs)
I have a tremendous degree of confidence in the benefits of essential oils but I couldn’t imagine that such combination of EOs could produce that particularly delicious aroma! Now I have a craving for that candy! Besides exuding lovely scents, the essential oils also provide various benefits.
Here are some of the benefits of the EOs used in Rubbalm:
- Peppermint Essential Oil – is wonderfully refreshing (*think peppermint gum*) and has a cooling sensation. The menthol in it is known to help relax and ease tension headaches and muscular aches and pains.
- Eucalyptus oil – also has the ability to provide cooling sensation and is believed to act as both an anti-inflammatory as well as an expectorant.
- Lavender essential oil – a number of studies have reported that it is potentially beneficial in a variety of conditions, including insomnia, alopecia (hair loss), anxiety, stress, and postoperative pain. Lavender is also being studied for antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Rosemary oil – in the lab, it appears to have antimicrobial properties (killing some bacteria and fungi in test tubes) and antiseptic qualities which makes it beneficial in efforts to eliminate eczema, dermatitis, oily skin, and acne. In terms of its scent, Rosemary essential oil can lift your mood, boost mental activity and help to increase concentration thus a good study mate. It is believed to be a good remedy for depression, mental fatigue and forgetfulness.
My thoughts on Rubbalm
Honestly, this is a family favourite. It is really very handy to have at home and everywhere.
I usually use it in the early mornings to repel mosquitoes when I do the laundry outside. And it really helped to ease my son’s coughing or nose/chest congestion when he was ill – I just rubbed it on his chest, back and feet before he went to bed.
With virgin olive oil and cocoa butter as the first 2 ingredients, I think it would also be effective as a skin moisturiser. I enjoy using it on my hands in the evening and early in the morning. It works just as well on the dry skin patches such as our elbows, knees, and cracked heels. I also occasionally use it as a lipbalm when my regular ones go into hiding.
Based on the above benefits of EO, I guess if you feel tired and need revitalizing, taking a whiff of Rubbalm is a quick pick-me-up that’s energizing.
Rubbalm is also suitable for newborn. It could be used to prevent and soothe diaper rash. It is sold at RM43 (50 gm).
I love products with multiple purposes and NO-RASHES CREAM is a multi-purpose salve/ointment. It not merely treats insect bites and stings, it can also be used to soothe sun-burnt skin, reduce eczema, itchiness, and rashes (such as the usual skin rash, diaper rash, milk rash). In fact, it’s clinically proven to relieve diaper rash within six hours of application.
Additionally, it can also be used as protection against, or for healing chapped cheeks, minor cuts, scrapes, burns, and other skin irritations. Moreover, with its virgin olive oil, it could also help to soften the skin.
Ingredients of No-Rashes Cream
- Virgin Olive Oil
- Cocoa Butter
- Essential Oil
- Non-Nano Zinc Oxide
My thoughts on No-Rashes Cream
Sometimes I neglected to immediately treat insect bites, stings or skin irritations that it became worse and can’t be soothe with Rubbalm. In such cases, No Rashes cream is a better help. I experienced it before, due to insect bite, and No-Rash really helped to stop the itchiness before it became even worse (I scratched so much that it almost bleed). Just make sure that the affected area is cleaned first before applying No-Rashes cream.
Frankly speaking, I don’t have much of a chance to use No-Rashes cream because my daughter has seized control of it from me! I made her apply it on her eczema when her usual medicated cream didn’t work as well as before, and now it’s totally hers. It has helped to reduce and stop the spread of her eczema. Now, I have to ask it from her when I want to use it. By the way, she also confidently shares it with her school friends.
I don’t usually use bar soap to cleanse my face because I am old-fashioned, used to using liquid cleanser. But I did try out Charcoal soap and although it’s recommended for oily skin, it’s not drying when used on combination skin.
Having teenagers with acne problems, I let them use it daily especially during sweaty days or after school. Happily, their acne has lessen though not totally gone. As we all know, teenage acne stems from various internal and external factors (including diet), so it’s quite hard to totally eliminate if we can’t ascertain the actual cause.
So far so good, as none of them has raised any complaints.
Lotus Mole Cream
Lotus Mole Cream is a natural food grade cream that can remove mole, warts, cholesterol seeds and skin tags (skin condition) without the need for expensive surgery or laser treatment. Enriched with Vitamin E, it helps to accelerate skin renewal process after the skin condition is completely gone. It is registered with KKM and is safe for use. However, it is not recommended for diabetic patients, don;t ask me why.
Ingredients of Lotus Mole Cream
- Cinnamon Powder
- Geranium essential oil
- Frankincense essential Oil
- Vitamin E (Tocopheryl acetate)
- Apple cider Vinegar
My Thoughts on Lotus Mole Cream
There are numerous glowing testimonials by customers on the effectiveness of Lotus Mole Cream. As someone who has a delightfully enormous number of moles on her face, hands and throughout her body, I couldn’t resist trying it out. I have no problem with any of my moles but one or two is getting out of hand.
Unfortunately, it’s only partly effective for me despite 4 applications. Probably, I did something wrong such as did not apply enough or did not shake the bottle sufficiently. Or my stubborn mole is way too entrenched on my thick skin. There could be many other reasons, so when I have time to sit still and wait without falling asleep, I shall re-apply it again.
Due to my only partial success with LMC, I was inspired to do a thorough search and reading on LMC. So that, when I’m ready to use it again, I shall be totally prepared. Actually, every purchase comes with an instruction but the one I had was not very comprehensive. For example, I didn’t know that I could add a drop or two of water if the cream is too dry. I certainly did not anticipate the pain and thought I applied it wrongly or got a bad batch.
Recommended Steps to Follow
Upon some research and readings here and there, I would like to suggest the following steps as the best way to ensure success with LMC:
- Clean the affected area (mole/wart/skin tag/etc that you want to remove).
- Shake the bottle so the mixture blends evenly. If the cream is a bit dry, add 1 or 2 drops of water to form a thick paste.
- Use a stick/wooden toothpick (each purchase comes with a set of sticks) to scoop out the cream and apply on the area.
- Apply only within the mole area and not on any other area of the skin.
- Leave it on for 45 minutes, or until it is completely dry, then wash.
- Use only 2 times within 2 days in the same area. Ensure that at least 24 hours have passed before the second application.
- After the first 2 applications, if the skin condition (mole, wart, etc) still persists, you can re-apply after 7 days has passed from the last application. Follow step #6.
- There will be a bit of pain, I was told that means it’s working and due to the apple cider in action.
- After step #7 above, if the mole is as stubborn as mine and does not come off completely, repeat the process.
- For delicate areas such as on the eyelid, use only once.
- Never attempt to pull it off, let it come off naturally by itself. If you pull it by force, the roots may remain in the skin and there will be scarring.
- When the cream takes effect, the area will become darker (quite black), will appear to increase in size and will flake.
- After it has come off, you can apply Vitamin E, Bio Oil, Aloe Vera, etc, to speed up the skin renewal process.
LMC can be paired with additional Vitamin E cream or Anti-Scar Cream for better results.
This foundation is delightful. I love the fact that it is a lightly tinted foundation giving a nice natural coverage and has SPF30 UV protection. As we grow older, light foundation is better because the thick foundation only enhances wrinkles.
Unfortunately, this foundation hardens easily and the airless pump bottle does not help to ease the flow of the liquid. Nonetheless, I still use it especially at noon when it’s hot and the liquid flows much better. If I need it to flow better, I just put the bottle in warm water but that’s not always possible as I’m constantly on the go, from one point to another.
Ingredients of Organichana Sunscreen Foundation
- Kaolin Clay
- Shea Butter
- Almond Oil
- Olive Oil
- Vitamin E
- Blend of Essential Oils
I was informed that Organichana does not produce this Sunscreen Foundation for the time being. I hope they’ll consider improving the consistency of the formula and making it available again. The airless pump bottle is totally fine.
Tips For Using Natural Skincare Products
These are merely basic general tips. There are many more out there for specific skincare products.
- As natural/organic products are made without preservatives (except probably some natural preservatives), to prolong their shelf-life it is best if kept in dry place, at cool or room temperature.
- If you are concerned of possible allergic reaction, do a skin test first. Apply some of the product on your elbow pit (antecubital area) which is the skin on the opposite side of the elbow. Leave it there for 2 hours to determine whether there are any adverse reaction.
Since it started operation a few years ago, Organichana has expanded its product range quite extensively. Besides skincare, it also offers bath and body care, make up and even clothing lines. Some products are even USDA certified, such as the Organichana Face Oil. We look forward to more thrilling developments from the online natural skincare brand, Organichana! All the best! 😀