In my previous posting, I mentioned about the upcoming bowling tournament at CPS Bowl Kota Kinabalu. It is organised by University Malaysia Sabah (UMS), hence the tournament is named “UMS Kota Kinabalu International Open 10-Pin Bowling Tournament“.
Top bowlers from around the country and several world class bowlers from Europe and Asia are expected to participate.
2011 PBA Tournament of Champions’s winner, Mika Koivuneimi will also be here.
Currently the qualification round is still ongoing. The scores posted are quite high. Local bowlers are working hard to qualify for the tournament proper, especially before the out-station bowlers arrive. Some have arrived actually and they have pushed the scores even higher.
I think 700 (over three games) won’t be enough unless you are under “Graded Bowlers” category.
Nonetheless, they also give several spots for ladies, veterans and “spinners” to play in the final.
The UMS Kota Kinabalu International Open offers RM240,850 total prize money, quite a huge sum. There will also be additional prizes, which include motorcycles and bicycles.
However to local bowlers, it is the star attractions that draw them into participating in the tournament. Imagine playing alongside the likes of Zulmazran and four-time AMF World Cup champion, Paeng Nepomuceno.
It would be something to cherish and remember.
About The Tournament
As stated above, the UMS Kota Kinabalu International Open 10-Pin Bowling Tournament is organised by University Malaysia Sabah and is sanctioned by Malaysia Tenpin Bowling Congress (MTBC), Asian Bowling Federation (ABF) and World Tenpin Bowling Association (WTBA). It is open to all invited current paid-up member of state associations and WTBA affiliates. All overseas bowlers must obtain clearance from their respective National Tenpin Bowling Association/Congress/State Association. The tournament is held at CPS Bowl at Centre Point Sabah, Kota Kinabalu. Qualifying round has started from 16th July and the final will be played at the end of this month.
The organiser has outlined several objectives of the tournament:
- To celebrate the 20th anniversary of University Malaysia Sabah
- To promote “The Land Below The Wind”, Sabah, to the world as a sport tourism destination in conjunction with Visit Malaysia Year 2014
- To promote and improve the standard of 10-pin bowling in Sabah
- To foster and promote goodwill, friendship and sportsmanship amongst bowlers in the bowling fraternity.
Besides the national bowlers and ex-national, several top players around the world have confirmed their participation in the tournament.
These star bowlers are expected to arrive in Kota Kinabalu Sabah next week.
Among the big names mentioned are:
- Mika Koivuneimi (Finland) – 13 PBA titles and 28 career 300 games in PBA events;
- Paeng Nepomuceno (Philippines) – six-time World Bowling Champion;
- Biboy Rivera (Philippines) – 2006 WTBA World Tenpin Bowling Championships;
- Wang Yu-ling (Taiwan ) – 2005 World Championships triple gold medallists;
- Jasmine Yeong-Nathan (Singapore) – reigning AMF Bowling World Cup ladies champion; and
- Jacqueline Sijore (Malaysia) – 2011 Women’s World Championships gold medallist.
16th July – 15th August 2014
- Sabah Local for Special Incentives
16th July – 30th August 2014
- Malaysian Bowlers
26th August – 30th August 2014
- Overseas Bowlers
- GRADED MASTER – 30th August 2014 ( 8.30AM )
- OPEN MASTER – 31st August 2014 ( 9.00AM )
Open Master champion will walk away with RM24,000 with RM6,000 await if he/she goes on to win the step-ladder final. Top finisher for youth, ladies and senior categories will pocket 3k, 4k and 3k respectively.
Winner of graded final will win RM12,000.
Those interested in improving their bowling skills and knowledge can also join two bowling clinics to be conducted by Mika Koivuneimi and Taiwan’s spinner specialist, Zheng Chao-sheng.
The details are as below:
To all bowlers in this region or any part of this world, come and join us in the biggest bowling tournament ever held in Sabah. Show us your skills and stand a chance to win attractive prizes while competing against some the world’s best.
For more info on this tournament, please contact CPS Bowl Kota Kinabalu.